Friday, February 6, 2009

National Dance Team Competition 2009- Day 1

The journey started with a school bus ride, actually 2 school buses which held the dance team and many family members making the trip with them. We were going to show support for all the hard work the dancers have done preparing for this event, not at all for the 4 days in Walt Disney World. Then there was a flight where we had to climb over the clouds just to see our mountain. Two of them if you look closely. We were greeted by the mouse, we were staying in his house after all. We stayed at All Star Sports in the football section.

In the morning while the dancers had their first Florida practice, I took a walk, a picture walk (I will not bore you with all I saw here) around the complex. It was done up in Disney fashion. I walked through All Star Sports including football, baseball, swimming, tennis & basketball. Then I wandered into All Star Music where I experienced Jazz, Country (and Western), Broadway and possibly more. Then there was All Star Movies with Toy Story, Herbie the Love Bug, 101 Dalmatians and Fantasia. The best find was a gigantic Buzz Lightyear and Woody.Then the journey began. We were finally here. There was soooo much to see and do where do you go first. We started at Hollywood Studios where we were told the awesomest roller coasters could be found. The girls were in orange the first day. It made it much easier to find them. As parents we saved our orange shirts for competition days so the dancers could find us. You can see it was shorts weather, something we have not had lately. Actually we had snow just one day before leavingThen we found it!! The Rockin' Roller Coaster. Following the dance team coach who made a mad dash bee line for the coaster made it easy to find. We were taking pictures all along the way which slowed us down a bit. In true Disney fashion the wait can be just as fascinating as the ride is fun. I was thinking of my youngest nephew and these enormous guitar necks in the music themed line. I wonder what these would sound like if you could play them.And the most fun for all ages is the door of marbles. You can take pictures of it, or roll your hand on it or just look for the one missing marble. Don't look too hard, I think it was on the other door. Right across the way is the Tower of Terror. An elevator ride up and down and up and down in the dark, in the light, in the dark.

I made it through both of these rides and the fun was only beginning. Then our quest was finding the Buzz Lightyear ride before it started raining. After asking directions, we were sent the long way around and found ourselves on some strange streets. What state are we in now? Confusion?
Finally we found the entire Toy Story section. These two monkeys seem to know where all their friends could be found. The line was too long to go on the ride, so we knew we had to come back here another day. 3 Sweeties.

The girls had an important meeting that night to find out more details on the competition coming up that weekend. #2 and I dropped off our girls with the coach and we stayed, but only briefly since it was now raining, something we are used to. It was still warm, so it really wasn't all that bad. Remember, we are here to support our dancers.

No comments: